Approach 1: Import PST File to Office 365 Using Network Upload
Follow the steps below to upload PST file in Office 365 Outlook:
Step 1- Copy SAS URL & install Azure AzCopy
SAS URL is considered as a network URL for storage path of Azure in Microsoft cloud and SAS is known as Shared Access Signature key. This key provides all of the permissions, which are required to upload and copy Outlook .pst files to the storage location of Azure.
Note: User should use Azure Azcopy version 5.0 for transferring PST file to Azure location successfully. Keep in mind that you must download the Azure AzCopy software to use Office 365 import service to migrate pst-filesfrom, “Upload files over the network” to page by the given below procedure:
- First of all, go to this https://protection.office.com URL address
- Then, you have to Login to Office 365 by entering all the credentials of an administrator account
- In the left-hand menu bar, click on Data Governance and then, choose Import option
- Under the Import page, select Go to the Import Service option to import PST to Office 365
- Now, you can import data to Office 365 on this page, you have to click on the New Import job, and choose Upload Email Messages (PST files)
- When you click on the Upload files over a network, the following page will be shown
- Now, in Prerequisite Step 2 of the above screenshot, hit on Show network upload SAS URL option
- After clicking on that, copy/ move the URL address, which is appeared, and save it to a particular file
- Similarly, in Prerequisite Step 3, you must click on Download tool option for downloading and installing the Azure AzCopy
- On the pop-up window, go to the Run button
- To exit or leave from Upload files over the network page, press Cancel button
Step 2- Import Multiple PST Files into Office 365
Now to import PST files into Office 365 accounts, you can follow the below steps of Office 365 import service by using AzCopy.exe tool:
- On your computer, open the Command Prompt
- Then, navigate to directory where AzCopy.exe is tool installed
- By default, the software is installed on the given path:
- Next, run this command to upload PST files to Office 365.
AzCopy.exe /Source: (Location of PST files) /Dest: (SAS URL) /V: (Log file location)
Step 3- View a list of PST files Uploaded to MS Office 365 Account
This step is optional in which you have the Office 365 import service to migrate pst-files; to view the complete list of Outlook data files (.pst) you can install the Azure Storage Explorer. It is an inbuilt software. Moreover, there are two reasons for doing this:
- Check the loading of PST files to Azure successfully.
- Confirm the name of a specific file for each PST, which is uploaded to Azure blob. As this will help, when you have created the PST mapping file because you must define both filename and folder pathname for each Outlook PST file.
Step 4- Create PST Import Mapping File
Once the PST file is uploaded to Azure storage location, in the upcoming step you have to create a CSV (comma separated value) file, which signifies about the user’s mailboxes where Outlook PST files will be imported.
- First of all, you need to download a copy of PST Import mapping file.
- After that, open or store a .csv file to your desktop.
Step 5- Make PST Import job in Office 365 Exchange
To create PST import job in Office 365 account, you must have to follow these steps:
- Navigate to https://protection.office.com.
- Then, sign in MS Office 365 account with the help of all credentials for an administrator account in Office 365 Online organization.
- Choose an option Data Governance and then, press Import
- A new page of Import will be displayed, choose an option Go to the Import service
- On the other page of Import PST to Office 365, select the New job i.e. on + sign, and choose Upload PST emails from the given options
- From the Upload files over the network page, choose I am done uploading my files and on the check boxes I have access to the mapping file, followed by click on Next button
- Proceed to further step, type in PST import job, and press Next.
- Now for adding PST file Mapping, you have to click on Add button.
- Choose the name of CSV file that shows in the list, and click on Validate option to check errors for the CSV file.
- Once the validation of PST file mapping is done, read the terms as well as conditions, and the checkbox is enabled.
- Eventually, click on Finish button to submit the job.
- On the page Import PST to Office 365 Online, the job is appeared in the list of PST file Import.
- Select the job and click on Refresh button to update the status information.
- Finally, click on View details to get the new status for the selected job.
After understanding the above steps, you may have understand that using this method is not an easy task. Performing Network upload require good experience on the working of Office 365 Admin center and PowerShell commands. As small mistake can lead to the corruption of PST files.