For a user working in an organization, there are number of emails which are drafted and received throughout the day. These emails carry the most crucial data which needs to be extracted for official purpose. Therefore, it needs to be saved to a personal folder which enables an easy access to the data in case of poor internet supply or when the server connectivity is slow. Hence, it is important to export mailbox from Office 365 to PST file, so that the data can be used for backup if any error occurs in future. This can be done either by using the manual method or automated method. In this blog, I am going to describe the 3 methods to export Office 365 mailbox to PST using eDiscovery export tool, PowerShell commands and Office 365 Export Tool.
Solution 2: Export Mailbox from Office 365 to PST Via PowerShell Method
Step 1: Establish Connection using MS Exchange Server using Powershell
- To begin the process of export PST from Office 365, run the below command in PowerShell,
“$UserCredential = Get-Credential”
In this, enter the credentials of Office 365 account including username and password which is mentioned under Windows PowerShell Credential Request wizard
- Now, run the below-mentioned command
“$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic –AllowRedirection”
- After that, run the following command,
Step 2: Grant Access Right to Mailbox to Export Via Powershell
This example will provide email@example.com full access to firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox:
“Add-MailboxPermission – User email@example.com -Identity firstname.lastname@example.org -AccessRights FullAccess -InheritanceType All”.
Step 3: Open MS Outlook for a New Account
Now, you need to open Outlook as email@example.com and ensure that firstname.lastname@example.org is available in the mailbox in the left pane. Sometimes, the permission takes seconds or even minutes to get applied.
Step 4: Check Configuration Settings
Now, check whether Outlook is ready to be configured to download all the emails within the limited time.
- Click File menu and select the Info page >> Account Settings.
- Then, click Account Settings again and select the account.
- Click the change button and ensure that Use Cached Exchange Mode option is enabled.
Step 5: Export Mailbox to PST via Import/Export Wizard
- Launch Import/Export wizard to export email@example.com to PST file. For that, click File menu>> Open & Export >> Import/ Export option.
- Select Export to a file from the given list options and click Next.
- After that, select Outlook Data file (.pst) option and click Next.
- Select firstname.lastname@example.org from the given list and click Next. Ensure that Include Subfolders checkbox is enabled.
- Mention a new name to the file and a storage location to store the PST file i.e., c:\tmp\outlook-archive- email@example.com -20160209.pst.
- From the Option section, select either Do not export duplicate items or Replace duplicates with items exported option and click Finish to export mailbox from Office 365 to PST.
- Now, enter the password for the PST file if required else leave it blank if the policy allows to do it and click OK.
- MS Outlook will remain inoperative until the export is under process. Thus, wait until it gives control to access the file.
Step 6: Ensure that Export Process is Completed
To verify that the Office 365 mailbox export process is completed, check the mailbox size on the Server and compare it with the exported PST file size. To do the same, follow the below steps,
- Firstly, right-click on the mailbox from the right pane and select Data File Properties options.
- Go to General tab and click on the Folder size button.
- Now, select Server Data tab and note the value mentioned as Total size.
- Finally, check the properties of the exported PST file. Ensure that the size of this file is comparable to the Total Size value which is mentioned by Outlook.
Step 7: When Office 365 Export Process Completes
After you successfully export Office 365 mailbox to PST, you have to remove all the permissions which were granted initially through Powershell. Run the below command to do the same,
“Remove-MailboxPermission -User firstname.lastname@example.org -Identity email@example.com -AccessRights FullAccess”
Step 8: Exit PowerShell Session
Finally, the Powershell session needs to be closed down after the permissions are removed. Follow the below command to execute the same,
Solution 3: Try Alternate Method to Export Mailbox from Office 365 to PST
A user can export PST from Office 365 account effectively by using the manual methods which are clearly mentioned above. Though the manual method is cost-free, it does not provide a complete solution to export Office 365 mailbox to PST file. Some of the consequences associated with the manual methods include data loss, file corruption. Inconsistency in the exported PST file, etc. To resolve all these drawbacks, it is recommended to use Office 365 mailbox export tool.
This tool is enriched with multiple features which provides an easy interface to all its users. It allows to export Office 365 mailboxes into multiple file formats such as PST, EML, MSG. All the data items are extracted which includes emails, contacts, calendar, etc. It provides a two-mode export option i.e., Export O365 archive mailboxes or in-place archive mails. It provides a unique feature i.e., Login for Admin option which allows to connect with different Exchange online accounts.
Download Now Purchase Now
Detailed Steps to export Office 365 Mailbox to PST file format:
- Install & run the above tool on your PC. From the main screen, select Office 365 as the source platform and PST as the destination platform.
- From workload selection enable required Mailbox items to export such as emails, contacts, and calendars. If you want to export data for a specific date range, apply Date Filter.
- Use the Office 365 admin account credentials to log in and validate the required permissions.
- Set the destination path to save the resultant PST files on your computer. Choose the appropriate PST file size.
- Add users using any of the following methods:
- Fetch Users: Automatically fetch users from the Source domain.
- Import Users: Import users through a CSV file.
- Download Template: Get a sample CSV template to create your user list.
- Select the users whose data you want to export and click “Start Export Process.”
That's it! All it requires these above few steps to export emails from multiple Office 365 accounts into PST file format. No requirement to go through the hassle to understand big technical functions of ediscovery or Powershell command. Moreover, no requirements for project creation whatsoever, simply export all mailboxes from Office 365 user account to PST format in few clicks.
Also Read: How to Upload PST to Office 365 without Outlook